Subject: Re: mapping out bad blocks?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Shawn D'Alimonte <sdalimon@home.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/09/2001 22:51:11
On Friday 09 March 2001 22:09, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

> Yes, it's quickly going past the point of diminishing returns on this
> drive. Funny thing is that the drive -seems- to work fine on a Mac,
> but I may have not pushed it much. Wondering if NetBSD is more robust
> or picky regarding disk issues?

I have an old ~700MB drive that works fine in MacOS,  if you don't use
the last 50MB.  I have NetBSD on it now and it gives the occasional
error as long as you don't use the last 50MB.  The errors only appear
under large disk load (Ie compiling on an 8MB SE/30).  Still works okay
considering it came out of a garbage can and has a noticable dent in
the top cover.  (Hmm, now that I think about it all of my Macs are
former trash...)

It is even working okay as a second drive crammed into an SE/30 (Very
tight fit)

--
Shawn D'Alimonte   sdalimon@home.com