Subject: Re: Installation Kernel was Re: Mkfs doesn't work for PB190
To: BUYO-BUYO-IGOR <imuzik@geocities.co.jp>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/09/2001 17:39:17
imuzik@geocities.co.jp

>searched for that "installation kernel"
>but couldn't find where it is

There are Installation Kernels for 1.4.2, 1.4.3 and 1.5 but none of them
have support for IDE disks in the mac68k port.

>so did a bit more silly thing
>
>downloaded several current kernels
>and (experimentally) "extracted" them on the hsf partition
>booted it from the booter app.
>got surprized that it went going a little bit
>but
>stopped at
>asking where the root device is

Since you booted them from an HFS partition they stopped at the point
where they need to access the BSD filesystems.  However, having gotten
this far you at least know that NetBSD will run on your PB190 provided
you have a disk that it can use.

>am stupid about the installation syetem's structure
>but found that this was a bit similar to
>what i did when installing debian to PPC via hfs+
>at that time their "root.bin" was playing the ram-disk roll
>
>now
>
>do we have something like that for
>the alternative way to install netbsd-mac68k?

There are only two ways that I know of for installing the mac68k port.
You either use the Mkfs/Installer MacOS applications or you use an
Installation Kernel.

>even if we did
>the result will be the same for PB190?
>(= ata getting ignored)

The IDE/ATA disk support isn't included yet as it is still in
development.  If someone who is working on it can provide you an
Installation Kernel you _MIGHT_ be able to install.  You'd also need a
regular Kernel with the same disk support to have a running system, but
that would be highly dependent on the completeness of the IDE/ATA disk
support.

-bob