Subject: Re: Whats the point of this porting effort?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <tbuskey@feanor.tools.gtei.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/09/2001 17:08:28
"Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D." said:
>Lee Reynolds wrote:
>>  I'm just wondering how much
>>longer the 68k macs will be viable enough to make a
>>useful system with it.
>

>Since most of the PCs I see in businesses are single-use machines
>(i.e. just WORD or just EXCELL), I see no reason not to use Macs the
>same way in their dotage.

It's nice to have machines cheap enough that you can dedicate 1 for
file serving, one for print serving, one for email, 1 for firewall,
etc.  And they can be tuned & secured for that function.  Makes
debugging/sysadmin much easier.

In a small dept (40-100 users) some people can survive w/o printing if
they can get their files & email.  If they're all on the same server
you have everyone upset.