Subject: mapping out bad blocks?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Stefan Jeglinski <jeglin@4pi.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/09/2001 10:47:27
Hi all, first-time poster and all-around *bsd newbie. At one point I
remember finding a searchable archive but ISTG I can't find it now
(maybe it was Google?).

I've had no problem installing 1.4.3 on 2 IIcxs. I'm bringing them up
identically, which helps me to triangulate on any problems. But I
think I have bad blocks on the one's SCSI drive. At boot I get a
non-fatal media error, but when I'm going through the pkgsrc stuff to
fill the system out, I get enough media errors to kill the whole
process. The OS of course never dies, which is nice. fsck_ffs does
not fix the cause of the media errors (there are media errors while
trying to fix it!).

So I reinitialized the whole drive as Mac OS and used Techtool's
media scan, which found bad blocks. It maps them out, but I think
that may be a volume bitmap thing that is wiped out on this drive
when I reinitialize it to a mac partition and a couple of bsd
partitions. IOW, the problem returns somewhere when I go through the
bsd install procedure.

BTW, I am using the sbc kernel, and everything works without error on
the other IIcx. I've checked SCSI termination too.

With all that as background, what I'm really looking to do is use a
bsd utility to map out the bad blocks. I note that the MacOS Mkfs
program seems to have no such capability. And I find in the initial
installation, there is no mkfs in bsd? (I come from Linux, I'm pretty
green with bsd). What would I use to do this in bsd?

My idea is to mount the bad hard drive as another disk on the good
IIcx, map out the bad blocks while in bsd, and continue. Any other
suggestions welcomed. I may junk the drive in the end, but I'm
interested now in just going thru the process for the education.

Stefan Jeglinski