Subject: Re: Whats the point of this porting effort?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Tim McNamara <timmcn@mr.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/09/2001 08:32:27
At 1:41 AM -0800 3/9/2001, Lee Reynolds wrote:
>Thank you for your response.  Yes, I really do want to
>know what everyone thinks.  I'm not a troll, this is a
>serious question.
>
>I've got a Quadra 700 at home running NetBSD 1.4.3.

Mine runs 1.4.2, haven't gotten around to upgrading.

>NetBSD on the mac is interesting, and I have
>fun pissing off the religious mac user types where I
>work when I tell them my mac has a REAL OS on it.
>They're nearly as committed to the current crippleware
>MAC-OS as they are to Mac hardware - go figure.

I've been a Mac user since 1986.  I've never considered owning a
Wintel machine, not after watching all my friends struggle with
trying to get theirs to operate.  I turn it on and it works.  I plug
in a peripheral and it works.  IMHO I am not a religious zealot Mac
user- I am just being practical.  Crippleware?  Mac OS is more
functional than MicroSoft's perpetual public beta releases.  The
Mac's relative weakness in the marketplace is not due to a
technologically superior competitor; it is due to being outcompeted
from a marketing perspective.

As far as the usefulness of the mac68k port of NetBSD?  That's
simple.  Because of it my Quadra 700 is turned on.  Otherwise it
would be in the basement in a box waiting for a garage sale.