Subject: Re: Whats the point of this porting effort?
To: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
From: Lee Reynolds <leebreynolds@yahoo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/09/2001 01:41:25
Thank you for your response.  Yes, I really do want to
know what everyone thinks.  I'm not a troll, this is a
serious question.

I've got a Quadra 700 at home running NetBSD 1.4.3.
I'd tried to use 1.5 on it but as I'm sure most people
know that just wasn't working (It may be now, I don't
know).  NetBSD on the mac is interesting, and I have
fun pissing off the religious mac user types where I
work when I tell them my mac has a REAL OS on it.
They're nearly as committed to the current crippleware
MAC-OS as they are to Mac hardware - go figure.

As for my comment about NetBSD being developed
primarily on PCs what I meant is that the PC is the
actual box being used to develop the code.  I say this
because they are the most plentiful systems available
as well as being the fastest available for the money.
Even the platform dependent code is better developed
on the PC.  If you're doing development of a device
driver for an Amiga, are you going to compile your
kernel on an actual Amiga?  I wouldn't.  I'd use a
cross compiler on a PC that will do it in 1/20th the
time and copy it over to the Amiga through the
network.

Unless someone has a fast system like a G3/G4, a
Sparc, or an Alpha, the PC makes the most sense as a
development platform.  When I recompile the kernel on
the Quadra 700, it takes all day long.  For a
developer all day is too long to wait considering how
many times they'll need to do it before the code is
finished.

Thank you for responding though.  I can't believe you
found a Quadra 800 in the trash!  I was ready to buy
one of those on Ebay not too long ago.

Lee Reynolds