Subject: Re: Router/Firewall weirdness?
To: Ron Landrus <ronlandrus@yahoo.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/08/2001 10:34:04
On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Ron Landrus wrote:

> The first issue I see is my resolv.conf file, although
> nothing unusual, I changed it to reflect my ISP
> information. I used vi to change it then cat to check
> the change, after a reboot the file has reverted to
> the original. I did a rm resolv.conf ls to check it
> was gone, after reboot the original file was back.
>
> It is scary. Where did it come from?

Are you using the DHCP client? If so, /etc/dhclient-script rebuilds
/etc/resolv.conf everytime you get a new lease. If it's wrong, the
cable modem is probably set up wrong. While you're waiting for the
cable company to fix it, you can tweak /etc/dhclient.conf. There's an
example in dchlient.conf(5) of how to use supersede-domain-name and
supersede-domain-name-servers. If that doesn't work, you can always
manhandle /etc/dhclient-script.

Frederick