Subject: Router/Firewall weirdness?
To: bsd <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Ron Landrus <ronlandrus@yahoo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/08/2001 01:05:13
I am working with Erik Winklers package on a IIci, on
a cable modem (ae1), and internal (ae0) on a hub,
connected to various Macs.

I am having difficulty with the NAT functions, http to
the internet is difficult (ip #'s only), also ping and
telnet is non existant. The router machine will ping,
telnet, and http to the internet. The internal network
macs can telnet, http and ping the router only,
reliably.

The first issue I see is my resolv.conf file, although
nothing unusual, I changed it to reflect my ISP
information. I used vi to change it then cat to check
the change, after a reboot the file has reverted to
the original. I did a rm resolv.conf ls to check it
was gone, after reboot the original file was back.

It is scary. Where did it come from?

I need to modify it, to experiment, but it is like
those birthday candles that will not blow out.

I may just start from scratch by reverting my HD to
all 0's, and rebuild, possibly something happened
during the first go around.

Anyone seen this before, or something similar.

Ron
ronlandrus@yahoo.com