Subject: Re: serial console troubles...
To: Paul Treadwell <paul.treadwell@stonebow.otago.ac.nz>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/06/2001 19:08:00
On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Paul Treadwell wrote:

> I was given an old Mac Plus the other day and thought it would be fun to
> set it up as a console for my LCIII+ running netBSD.
> Reading around, I found nothing specifically about this, but gathered it
> was commonly done. I got a bit sidetracked thinking I needed to use ppp and
> therefore TCP/IP but then I decided that I didn't...
> I discovered the "Serial" options in the booter and immediately I was able
> to get data sent to the Plus running ZTerm. After a bit more fiddling, I
> could even read it ! However, it seemed the boot stopped at a line
> ....getty[179]: /dev/ttyE0: Device not configured. But, I could log in
> quite normally via NCSA Telnet from my MacOs LCIII+.
> After more looking around I found a note saying (I thought) I had to use
> MAKEDEV to set up all the terminals in /etc/dev. So eventually I tried

/etc/dev ??? You should have a /dev, but that's it.

> MAKEDEV /etc/dev tty. On reboot, the display on the Plus stopped at exactly
> the same message, and now when I try to login via Telnet, I get "login
> incorrect" for both my user name and root ! I can boot ok with the single
> user option checked in the booter. So, I seemed to have scrambled something
> in the terminal department...rather than fiddle further, I thought I should
> get some advice ! If someone could tell me a) how get my login back to

What directory were you in when you ran the MAKEDEV script? I'm unsure
what you did to, "set up all the terminals in /etc/dev", and I'm concerned
that you might have damaged some file.

> normal, and b) how to set up a Plus as a terminal (or point me to some
> resources suitable for a beginner) I would be very grateful.

Chances are that you need to enable the getty process on tty00 (modem) or
tty01 (printer). Not having it on usually causes the problem you see -
everything just stops on the serial console after boot.

Take care,

Bill