Subject: serial console troubles...
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Treadwell <paul.treadwell@stonebow.otago.ac.nz>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/06/2001 17:48:41
I was given an old Mac Plus the other day and thought it would be fun to
set it up as a console for my LCIII+ running netBSD.
Reading around, I found nothing specifically about this, but gathered it
was commonly done. I got a bit sidetracked thinking I needed to use ppp and
therefore TCP/IP but then I decided that I didn't...
I discovered the "Serial" options in the booter and immediately I was able
to get data sent to the Plus running ZTerm. After a bit more fiddling, I
could even read it ! However, it seemed the boot stopped at a line
....getty[179]: /dev/ttyE0: Device not configured. But, I could log in
quite normally via NCSA Telnet from my MacOs LCIII+.
After more looking around I found a note saying (I thought) I had to use
MAKEDEV to set up all the terminals in /etc/dev. So eventually I tried
MAKEDEV /etc/dev tty. On reboot, the display on the Plus stopped at exactly
the same message, and now when I try to login via Telnet, I get "login
incorrect" for both my user name and root ! I can boot ok with the single
user option checked in the booter. So, I seemed to have scrambled something
in the terminal department...rather than fiddle further, I thought I should
get some advice ! If someone could tell me a) how get my login back to
normal, and b) how to set up a Plus as a terminal (or point me to some
resources suitable for a beginner) I would be very grateful.

Thanks, Paul