Subject: Re: ATA drive on Q630
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: None <CaptnZilog@aol.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/02/2001 15:36:19
> As I understand things Quadras and below cannot
> do ATA drives.  They are SCSI only.  This is a > question best brought to the Low End Mac's
> Quadlist mailing list...

Actually, the Q630 only has an ATA drive internally, but it does have an external SCSI port.  This is the era when they began to realize that they had to build cheaper machines to compete with PC's, and IDE (ATA) drives have always been much cheaper.  So, the Q630, and I believe one or two other models, came with built-in IDE drives instead of SCSI.

Well.. I also have a Q610 system, which *is* scsi... I was hoping for the fastest machine for my OS build/test system, but I guess if I have to go with the Q610 over the IIsi, its still a step up.  Or go the external SCSI drive route on the Q630, if it'll boot up that way with no internal ATA drive.