Subject: Re: Trouble logging in remotely
To: Port mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/28/2001 18:50:51
On Wednesday, February 28, 2001, at 07:19  am, Paul Treadwell wrote:

> Hi all,
> 	after some initial problems (thanks Ian !) I've now got netBSD 1.5
> running on my LCIII+ with an external 320MB drive. I set up networking
> the extent that I can ping another LCIII+ (MacOs) connected via a
> crossover
> ethernet cable, and that mac can ping the netBSD one. However, I cannot
> login remotely from the mac LCIII using NCSA Telnet. Nor can I connect
> using Fetch.
>
> I tried "ps -ax" and got what I presume are the processes running. No
> telnetd. However, as far as I could figure from "man telnetd", this is
> invoked when necessary by inetd. There is this line:
>
> PID	TT	STAT	TIME	COMMAND
> 174	??	Is	0:00.14	/usr/sbin/inetd -I
>
> So, inetd would appear to be running, unless the ?? indicates a
> problem...
> I checked this before and after trying to log in from the mac LCIII.
>
> It was  suggested, I look at  /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services. They
> were
> just as they were supposed to be ie.
> telnet          stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/telnetd
> telnetd
> and:
> telnet          23/tcp
>
> "man telnetd" said that telnetd could be called directly, so I tried
> this,
> "telnetd" and this "telnetd -d" and both times got "Command not found".
> Just in case, I had changed into /usr/libexec where telnetd shows up...

Type vi inetd.conf or use nano (or your text-editor of choice).

And un-comment out the lines "telnet" and "ftpd".

Then kill and restart inetd (or reboot).

You will now be able to log and ftp in.

I'd recommend getting sshd configged pretty sharpish (telnet really
isn't that good). I'm going to be doing some docs very soon for this one.

All the best.

Matthew