Subject: Trouble logging in remotely
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Treadwell <paul.treadwell@stonebow.otago.ac.nz>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/28/2001 20:19:21
Hi all,
	after some initial problems (thanks Ian !) I've now got netBSD 1.5
running on my LCIII+ with an external 320MB drive. I set up networking to
the extent that I can ping another LCIII+ (MacOs) connected via a crossover
ethernet cable, and that mac can ping the netBSD one. However, I cannot
login remotely from the mac LCIII using NCSA Telnet. Nor can I connect
using Fetch.

I tried "ps -ax" and got what I presume are the processes running. No
telnetd. However, as far as I could figure from "man telnetd", this is
invoked when necessary by inetd. There is this line:

PID	TT	STAT	TIME	COMMAND
174	??	Is	0:00.14	/usr/sbin/inetd -I

So, inetd would appear to be running, unless the ?? indicates a problem...
I checked this before and after trying to log in from the mac LCIII.

It was  suggested, I look at  /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services. They were
just as they were supposed to be ie.
telnet          stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/telnetd
telnetd
and:
telnet          23/tcp

"man telnetd" said that telnetd could be called directly, so I tried this,
"telnetd" and this "telnetd -d" and both times got "Command not found".
Just in case, I had changed into /usr/libexec where telnetd shows up...

any help appreciated !

Paul