Subject: Netatalk speed over IP
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Kadari Mayson <dark3lf@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/27/2001 16:18:51
On my home network, I have an Apple Quadra 800 with 45 megs running
NetBSD 1.5 (beautifully I might add), which I use for my fileserver. I
have Netatalk running on it for my Macs as well as Samba for my PCs. No
conflicts. Taking into account that the Quadra only has 10BT onboard and
a slow 3400(3600?) SCSI HD, transfer speeds to and from the server never
goes about ~50k/sec. This is VERY strange since I can ftp into that
machine and I have gotten as high as 200k/sec. I realize that AppleShare
isn't really designed for high speed file transfers expecially over IP,
and even Apple considers it a legacy technology, but shouldn't I be
getting much faster transfer speeds? FTPing out from the box to
apache.org or whatever, I can get speeds as high as 200k/sec, but I
guess there is a bottleneck because of the HD speed (I can get as high
as 350-450k/sec on newer computers). Is this normal or am I doing
something wrong?

/km