Subject: Re: Problems installing NetBSD 1.5 on IIci
To: None <ender@macbsd.com>
From: Bill Brideson <manxman@mindspring.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/25/2001 22:59:14
   A thousand apologies for not getting this reply back to you
sooner.  Because it's been such a long time, I'll go ahead and
include the whole thread.  Brief comments are interspersed, but
the synopsis is that you got me going, and I appreciate it.

On 2/20/01 5:01 AM, Colin Wood (cwood@ichips.intel.com) wrote:

>Bill Brideson wrote:
>> 1)  I downloaded NetBSD 1.5 for Mac68K Saturday and then set about
>>     reading the directions and getting it installed.  Downloading
>>     appeared to go fine, and the installation worked fine except
>>     for one step:
>>
>>     When ran the installer and asked it to install netbsd-INSTALL.gz
>>     and netbsd-INSTALLSBC.gz in the "instkernel" folder within the
>>     "installation" folder, I got these messages:
>>
>>     Inflating...
>>     bad block type 3
>>     Invalid compressed data -- format violated 2
>>     Unexpected end of file -- not a valid tar archive.
>>     Try using the mini shell and cpin or cpout.
>>     Finished extracting netbsd-INSTALL.gz
>
>the installer only installs gzipped tar archives (i.e. .tar.gz or .tgz
>files).  it doesn't handle files that have merely been gzipped.  if you
>read the INSTALL document, it probably makes _no_ mention of installing
>the INSTALL kernel.  this is b/c you _shouldn't_ install it.  just install
>the kern.tgz set in the binary/sets directory and you're good to go (well,
>assuming you install the base.tgz and etc.tgz sets as well ;-)

   The HTML form of the installation instructions lists base.tgz,
etc.tgz, and *netbsd.tgz* (emphasis added), so I went looking for
the "netbsd.tzg" file, and when I couldn't find it, I wondered if
"netbsd<something else>" was what I was after.  Apparently,
"netbsd.tgz" got renamed to "kern.tgz" somewhere along the line.

   I installed just the packages in the "sets" folder, and it
worked just fine.

>if you want to install via the INSTALL kernel (and not via the installer),
>you'll need to point the booter to the INSTALL kernel and boot from it
>that way.  i wouldn't recommend doing this unless you read bob's docs on
>using sysinst with mac68k.

   Thanks for explaining that.  I hadn't thought about kernels
from which to do an install, but of course it makes perfect
sense.  Fortunately, I didn't need to do that, so I've had no
more to do with those netbsd-INSTALL files.

>> 2)  The single-user shell won't accept vt220 for the value
>>     of the TERM option.  I'm using the HTML form of the
>>     installation instructions, and this is in the section
>>     "Post Installation Steps" under "Installing the NetBSD
>>     System."
>>
>>     Nor will the single-user shell accept the values vt52,
>>     vt100, VT52, VT100, or VT220 (which are all of the DEC
>>     terminal types I can remember).
>>
>>     Bbecause I can't set TERM, I can't edit /etc/rc.conf,
>>     so I can't boot multi-user.
>
>did you install into 1 partition or more than 1?  did you install all of
>the sets?  it sounds like /usr/share/misc/termcap is cannot be found.  you
>might want to verify it's existence before continuing.

   I created three partitions--root, /usr, and swap.  Indeed,
/usr/share/misc/termcap wasn't there.  I started poking around,
and discovered that I'd allocated /usr too small, so not all of
its files got installed.  I thought I had checked for out-of-
space messages during the install, but there was a lot going on
and I must have missed them.

   I noticed that the root partition didn't need anywhere near
the space I had given it, so I gave a bunch of that to /usr
and now all the partitions are happy.  And I can bring up vi
to edit those files.

>i hope this helps some.

   It helped a *lot*.  Thanks a million, and again, sorry I
didn't get this reply out in a decently timely manner.