Subject: 1.5 on SE/30: packages question
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tucker <nikon@cyberport.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/24/2001 00:41:11
OK, I reinstalled NetBSD 1.5 on my SE/30 and I fixed the ttye0 problem
during the initial single user boot. So now it's up and running and all is
well. I'm in pine right now as I type this on the SE/30! woop!

A few questions:

All the networking stuff seems to be different from 1.4. Instead of
filling in the blanks in rc.conf, i have to write in the entire lines for
the network info, such as the ip address, hostname, etc.

Am I doing this correctly? Just typing stuff in rc.conf, eh? Seems to work
anyway. Before I used a ifconfig.ae0 file, but I am no longer using that
file...this confuses/worries me. I am not a bsd expert by any means :)

question two:

When I was using 1.4, I used "sup" to download an enormous amount of STUFF
onto my hard drive. I'd then go into the directory of the app I wanted,
type in some shell commands, and the computer would automatically download
any depenendencies and compile the program.

THIS TIME, however, I decided to try the precombiled binary thang. I went
to the precompiled binary directly of the application "dt" and downloaded
it, gunzipped and untarred it, and it WORKED with much less mucking about
with the downloading and compiling that I had to put up with before (this
is especially annoying when you're using a 16mhz cpu!)

This is really wonderful. This is so wonderful, in fact, that it worries
me. If I download a precompile binary for "dt", will it work on all
macs? from a Quadra 840AV with a 640x480 monitor to a SE/30 with it's tiny
9" monitor? The same binary will drive both those resolutions w/o
problems?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of doing things the precompiled way
vs. the "sup" way?

tia

chris (happy 1.5 SE/30 user)