Subject: Re: newbie - afterstep setup error
To: Richard Weltman <richard.weltman@mcr1.poptel.org.uk>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/22/2001 22:29:47
On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Richard Weltman wrote:

> > You're supposed to install binary packages with "pkg_add"
> > from within NetBSD
>
> explains a lot - so the same goes for fvwm-2.2.4.tar.gz?

That looks like a source file. The pre-built packages have a
".tgz" suffix, for the benefit of MSDOS and VAX VMS users, mostly.
(It's tradition.)

> what files can the MacOS installer utility be used for?
> my NetBSD system isn't networked to anything - all the
> files have to come via the MacOS partition.

There are at least two ways to make the package files available to netbsd.
You could use "cpin" from the Installer's minishell. Neater, install the
"xhfs" and "libhfs" packages within netbsd. "xhfs" is an X program that
lets you read and copy files out of the mac hfs partition.

> does the O'Reilly <What To Do If Your Unix Administrator is Away>
> book explain what I need to know?

How to answer that, with no idea "what you need to know", or what's in the
book? It's a fair bet, though, that it will have nothing about the NetBSD
package system. (Wish I were wrong!) I suggest you start at
<URL:http://www.netbsd.org>, and follow the links to search the web page
and the mailing lists.

Frederick