Subject: Re: 1.5 on an SE/30
To: Chris Tucker <nikon@cyberport.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/22/2001 15:09:29
Chris Tucker wrote:
> I have 1.4 ready to go. I am considering installing 1.5 on my SE/30,
> although I may just go with 1.4 cuz I know how that one works and because
> it's already downloaded from some previous installs.
>
> I"m trying to decide if 1.5 is the way to go or if i should stick with
> 1.4.

Make sure that's 1.4.3 at least ;-)  There have been a few problems with
1.5, but none that I know of on the SE/30's.

> A few questions:
>
> I've read before on the list that many users had trouble with the 1.5
> install because of some minor file changes from 1.4. Have these problems
> been fixed?

Nope.  It will take until 1.5.1 before the kinks are worked out.  There
are well-document workarounds for the problems, tho.

> What is a "snapshot" and should I get one or just use the regular 1.5
> files?

A "snapshot" is usually a NetBSD-current snapshot.  Since -current isn't
always 100% stable, you might want to stay away from it if you don't want
to be on the bleeding edge ;-)  I'd go with the regular 1.5 files.

-Colin