Subject: Re: Formatting a drive
To: David Rogers , Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/22/2001 09:00:49
At 9:42 PM -0600 2/21/01, David Rogers wrote:
>Actually, I did newfs the c partition.  I wanted to use the whole 4 gigs for
>my /usr and nothing objected at all.
>
>Dave Rogers

> >> Just an odd thought:  Could you newfs the c partition and mount it to
> >> use the whole disk as a single partition?  Probably something would
> >> object. . .
> >
> > Depends on how many Apple partitions are on the drive. Assuming none,
> > the Apple partition map will take up only the first three sectors (one
> > since it's an Apple partition map, one for the Partition map entry, and
> > one for the free space entry for the rest of the disk).

Actually I was thinking more of the case where the drive was
completely blank:  no APM at all.  In that case though the disklabel
code would probably have a fit and you wouldn't be able to see a 'c'
partition in the first place I'm guessing.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.