Subject: Re: MacOS requirements, installation medium, delurk, and 660av ethernet
To: Daniel Parks <danielp@reed.edu>
From: Terje Elde <terje@thinksec.no>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/21/2001 16:03:56
--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc

On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 12:51:56PM -0800, Daniel Parks wrote:
> >I guess I'll just have to go hunting for friends with proper SCSI cards =
and
> >force them to wipe it for me.
>=20
> You could also try pdisk. It's not a normal MacOS app... it has a=20
> CLI, and it allows you do edit the partition map of any disk=20
> (including the boot disk). Unfortunately, it doesn't format disks,=20
> but you could use it to change the label/type of the FWB driver=20
> partition (or whatever it is) to something else... or delete it's=20
> entry entirely.
>=20
> You can get it from Bob's server:
> ftp://murphy.dyndns.org/pub/map/
>=20
> You can also resize partitions with pdisk (because it doesn't format=20
> them), but you have to be clever. (And use a disk repair utility=20
> liberally.) IIRC, I did it to an HFS partition once, but I'm really=20
> not sure I if I just thought about it or actually did it.

Lots of thanks to all those who've helped me. I was finally able to
reinitialize and format the disk, thanks to apples own "Drive Setup" utilit=
y.

It was actually amazingly easy once I decided to try that little util. The
problem, one could argue, is that of all the sources I tried noone seems to
have known this could be the solution.

Apples own information lists it as being for PPC and for 68040's with IDE
systems, neither of which matches the setup in the 660av.

Oh, well, when the end is well all is well I suppose.

I'm now up and running with the system, having been able to install several
packages, working on a kernel compile, and I've even ordered the adapter for
the network card, which seems to be supported pretty much out of the box.

Thanks for the help everyone, I hope I'll be able to return the favor.

Terje Elde
ThinkSec AS

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc--