Subject: Problems installing NetBSD 1.5 on IIci
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Brideson <manxman@mindspring.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/19/2001 22:54:19
First, thank you all so much for all the hard work it must take
to keep enhancing NetBSD and porting it to all of these platforms!

I'm afraid I have two things to ask you about.

Software: MacOS 7.5.3, NetBSD Mac68K downloaded Saturday and Sunday
          (18 and 19 February).  I'm installing onto three
          partitions: /swap, / (root), and /usr.

Hardware: MacIIci, 20MB RAM, MacOS on 2GB SCSI hard disk via FWB
          Jackhammer card, installing NetBSD onto an Iomega Bernoulli
          150 MB removable at SCSI address 1 on the internal SCSI
          chain (there is no other device on that chain, not even
          at address zero)

1)  I downloaded NetBSD 1.5 for Mac68K Saturday and then set about
    reading the directions and getting it installed.  Downloading
    appeared to go fine, and the installation worked fine except
    for one step:

    When ran the installer and asked it to install netbsd-INSTALL.gz
    and netbsd-INSTALLSBC.gz in the "instkernel" folder within the
    "installation" folder, I got these messages:

    Inflating...
    bad block type 3
    Invalid compressed data -- format violated 2
    Unexpected end of file -- not a valid tar archive.
    Try using the mini shell and cpin or cpout.
    Finished extracting netbsd-INSTALL.gz

    That set came out twice, soon after the attempt to install was
    begun.

    Thinking I had gotten a bad download, I downloaded the
    instkernel folder again on Sunday (yesterday, the 19th).
    But attempting to install that produced the same messages.

    Yes, I downloaded in binary mode, using Fetch 3.0.1 .  I
    downloaded the files from ftp.netbsd.org .

    However, I *was* able to install netbsd-GENERIC.gz and
    netbsd-GENERICSBC.gz in the "sets" folder in the "kernel"
    folder in the "binary" folder.  That produced a system
    that successfully boots single-user, which brings me to
    the next question:

2)  The single-user shell won't accept vt220 for the value
    of the TERM option.  I'm using the HTML form of the
    installation instructions, and this is in the section
    "Post Installation Steps" under "Installing the NetBSD
    System."

    Nor will the single-user shell accept the values vt52,
    vt100, VT52, VT100, or VT220 (which are all of the DEC
    terminal types I can remember).

    Bbecause I can't set TERM, I can't edit /etc/rc.conf,
    so I can't boot multi-user.

I'm sorry to bother you--I know you're doing this as a
volunteer.  But many thanks in advance for any help you
can provide.