Subject: Re: newbie - afterstep setup error
To: J. Seth Henry <jshenry@net-noise.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/19/2001 18:45:03
J. Seth Henry wrote:
> An apparently little known secret is that you can get high color (16-bit+)
> already. The only thing the color X servers can't do is 256 (8-bit) color.
> They can do 256 (8-bit) grayscale though, as you mentioned. My Quadra 800
> runs in glorious full color, but only at 800x600 (1024x768 uses too much
> VRAM).

actually, the X server can do 2-bit, 4-bit (grayscale), 8-bit (grayscale
or colormap), and 16-bit (psuedocolor?).  it can't do 24-bit (truecolor)
yet, tho.  what is lacking is kernel support for the display hardware.  if
your machine will boot while in 16-bit mode, then it will "just work" with
the color server.  since 8-bit mode requires the ability to change the
color map, this mode won't usefully work under netbsd at the moment (you
could still boot and run X, but the colors would be rather awful).

later.

colin