Subject: Re: Formatting a drive
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
From: Daniel Parks <danielp@reed.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/19/2001 15:42:21
>Pdisk is really low-level and all it does is allow one to mung up the
>Partition Map.  It's a bit like using a large rock to take the lug nuts
>off a wheel while changing a tire.  It works, but there's a lot of room
>for mistakes. :)  If you've ever heard the death chimes on your Mac from
>blowing up the Partition Map on your only disk you might have second
>thoughts about any program that screws with the Map.

There is a lot of room for mistakes, but with a few simple changes it
could be a lot safer. As an example, options such as "Initialize
Partition Map" should be disabled when one is not in an expert mode.
(I think it's called experimental mode right now, but x could also
stand for expert.) Perhaps the driver partitions should be "locked"
in pdisk unless it's in such an expert mode. Anyway, I think that
pdisk could be improved to the point where it would be relatively
safe to use for a disk partitioning tool.

I've been meaning to do some work on it for a while (mainly simple
stuff, though I thought about adding a GUI), but I've never really
had the time necessary.

Daniel