Subject: Installer Error - please help
From: Ian Goldby <Ian.Goldby@ntlworld.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/17/2001 12:02:35
Hi,

I'm trying to install NetBSD on my LC475 (upgraded with a full 68040
cpu) for the first time, and I need some help with the installer.

I have a 2GB DEC RZ28M internal HD, salvaged from an Alpha workstation,
which I've been using successfully for some time with MacOS. Under
MacOS I had a 1GB main partition, and two 512MB extra partitions, all
Mac HFS.

I have retained the 1GB partition, deleted the two other HFS
partitions, and created a NetBSD Root & Usr and NetBSD swap partition
in their place. (The swap is 60MB and the Root & User is the remaining
space - nearly 1GB.) I used Apple's HD SC Setup to do this, so as not
to disturb the HFS partition.

I then used Mkfs to 'change' and 'format' the two NetBSD partitions,
which proceeded without any reported errors. I accepted all the default
settings for the format.

Then I used the installer to try to install the base package (and
others). It installed the first few files, and then stopped with the
error:

   Error on SCSIRead(), #5
   pos=0, i=76, fs=/
   alloccgblk: can't find blk in cyl

So I'm stuck here, and would appreciate any help anyone could offer.
I've never had any problems with this disk before. I'm extremely loathe
to reinitialise the entire disk, as although I've backed up my
important data files from the HFS partition, I don't have enough backup
media to backup the entire disk - meaning I'd have to reinstall the
MacOS system and applications from their original installers and then
apply all the patches. I can't imagine doing a low-level format would
make any difference anyway - I did a low-level format when I first
installed the disk.

Would it help to try altering some of the settings in Mkfs's format?

Thanks in advance for any help

Ian