Subject: Re: MacOS requirements, installation medium, delurk, and 660av ethernet
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
From: Terje Elde <terje@thinksec.no>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/17/2001 12:05:07
--oC1+HKm2/end4ao3

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 05:43:30PM -0600, Bob Nestor wrote:
> >I use mkisofs to make iso9660/hfs hybrid CD's. I don't need the PC excha=
nge
> >control panel to use them. This way all I need is a easy to make boot di=
sk
> >with CD driver, and I can load all the utils and tools I want on the CD.=
 Not
> >to mention that I can fit both the Mac system and NetBSD. With a bit more
> >playing around I bet I can even make it boot :)
> >
> You'll probably have to create the CD with something like Toast. =20
> Although it's possible to do all this on NetBSD I don't think anyone has=
=20
> done so yet.  It's a bit difficult to get the drivers, the Partition=20
> Table and such all built right with mkhybrid on UNIX.

That was a typo actually. It was supposed to read used in the first line. T=
he
CD worked quite well the first time around (or was it booting that would be
hard?)

> >> Yes. That'd be a very easy way. Bob Nestor, incidently, sells CDs if y=
ou
> >> want to go down that route. <http://murphy.dyndns.org/NetBSD/>
> >>=20
> >> It's just occurred to me that these may in fact be bootable thus remov=
ing
> >> the above problem. You may want to check this yourself.
> >
> No, I can positively say the NetBSD/mac68k CDs aren't bootable.  To make=
=20
> them bootable I'd have to include some Apple licensed software and I'd=20
> rather not get into a hassle with Apple over that.

Ahh, yes. The loader that'll have to be fetched from another apple bootable
CD.

> >I've ordered, but between shipping to Norway and setting up a PayPal=20
> >account I
> >won't see the CD's any time soon.
> >
> International orders (anything outside of the USA) are shipped via Air=20
> Mail at no additional charge.  Ground transportation between here and=20
> Europe goes by boat by default and can take up to eight weeks.

No worries then :)

> >The problem I'm having is that I've got a non-apple drive (seagate), whi=
ch
> >isn't supported by Apple HD SC Setup. Fine, no problem... *smack* patche=
d to
> >go. The problem on the other hand, is that both of the version's I tried
> >(latest one, patched and unpatched, as well as a 3.0 version) complain t=
hat
> >there's a open file on the disk, and that it as such cannot be=20
> >initialized, or
> >partitions removed.
> >
> Boot from a floppy and you can re-format and/or partition the hard disk. =
=20
> There are some old 3rd party disk formatters that used to leave strange=
=20
> partitions on the disk that would create the situation you describe.  The=
=20
> patched Apple formatter won't do this, so the solution is to reformat and=
=20
> partition with it.

Chicken and egg problem then.

I can't do anything with the apple utilities until I've wiped the FWB, and I
can't wipe the FWB until I've used the apple utilities to partition for Net=
BSD
install so I can wipe the disk.

I wish there was a MacOS version of dd, so I could thrash the thing.

I guess I'll just have to go hunting for friends with proper SCSI cards and
force them to wipe it for me.

> >I've tried everything I can think off, but to no help at all. I've start=
ed to
> >suspect it's got something to do with the disk driver installed on the H=
D,
> >which is listed as FWB Async 0 ID:0 v.1.7.6.
> >
> Yes, this is one of the disk formatters known to do things like that.

Blargh. To think I used to like FWB.

*pling*

And then it dawned on me... I should be able to use the FWB HD Toolkit to f=
ix
things if I can't find anyone with SCSI who'll wipe for me.

Even worse than MS marketing. Once a disk has been touched by FWB, you'll n=
eed
a proper FWB with license to remove it.=20

Again, lots of thanks to you all for helping me out here

Terje

--oC1+HKm2/end4ao3

--oC1+HKm2/end4ao3--