Subject: Re: MacOS requirements, installation medium, delurk, and 660av ethernet
To: Terje Elde" , "Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/16/2001 17:43:30
Terje Elde wrote:

>On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 10:28:58PM +0000, Matthew Theobalds wrote:
>> Yes, you could download them to a Unix system without trouble. The problem
>> comes when you actually want to use them. You are right, they are Self
>> Mounting Images. The way I would do it (with my setup) would be to download
>> the images. Un-Bin them and Double Click to mount. This is all standard Mac
>> OS procedure. You could then install from these images.
>
>I use mkisofs to make iso9660/hfs hybrid CD's. I don't need the PC exchange
>control panel to use them. This way all I need is a easy to make boot disk
>with CD driver, and I can load all the utils and tools I want on the CD. Not
>to mention that I can fit both the Mac system and NetBSD. With a bit more
>playing around I bet I can even make it boot :)

You'll probably have to create the CD with something like Toast.
Although it's possible to do all this on NetBSD I don't think anyone has
done so yet.  It's a bit difficult to get the drivers, the Partition
Table and such all built right with mkhybrid on UNIX.

>> > Do I understand it correctly that one easy way to actually get the NetBSD
>> > files onto the box could be to simply burn them on a CD, boot the loader
>> > partition, then run the installer application and point it at the files
on
>the
>> > CD?
>>
>> Yes. That'd be a very easy way. Bob Nestor, incidently, sells CDs if you
>> want to go down that route. <http://murphy.dyndns.org/NetBSD/>
>>
>> It's just occurred to me that these may in fact be bootable thus removing
>> the above problem. You may want to check this yourself.

No, I can positively say the NetBSD/mac68k CDs aren't bootable.  To make
them bootable I'd have to include some Apple licensed software and I'd
rather not get into a hassle with Apple over that.

>I've ordered, but between shipping to Norway and setting up a PayPal
>account I
>won't see the CD's any time soon.

International orders (anything outside of the USA) are shipped via Air
Mail at no additional charge.  Ground transportation between here and
Europe goes by boat by default and can take up to eight weeks.

>The problem I'm having is that I've got a non-apple drive (seagate), which
>isn't supported by Apple HD SC Setup. Fine, no problem... *smack* patched to
>go. The problem on the other hand, is that both of the version's I tried
>(latest one, patched and unpatched, as well as a 3.0 version) complain that
>there's a open file on the disk, and that it as such cannot be
>initialized, or
>partitions removed.

Boot from a floppy and you can re-format and/or partition the hard disk.
There are some old 3rd party disk formatters that used to leave strange
partitions on the disk that would create the situation you describe.  The
patched Apple formatter won't do this, so the solution is to reformat and
partition with it.

>I've tried everything I can think off, but to no help at all. I've started to
>suspect it's got something to do with the disk driver installed on the HD,
>which is listed as FWB Async 0 ID:0 v.1.7.6.

Yes, this is one of the disk formatters known to do things like that.

>Have anyone been having similar problems? Anyone know how to fix it?

-bob