Subject: Re: MacOS requirements, installation medium, delurk, and 660av ethernet
To: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
From: Terje Elde <terje@thinksec.no>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/15/2001 23:09:02
--YkJPYEFdoxh/AXLE

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 09:27:19PM +0000, Matthew Theobalds wrote:
> Not so long ago Terje Elde said:

Very quick reply, lots of thanks :)

> Have you seen my guide?
>=20
>     http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/theobald/
>=20
> Most of your queries I think should be answered there, if not feel free to
> ask.

Actually that was the last page I was at before writing to the list. I try =
make sure I RFTM before I turn to pestering others with my ignorance.

=46rom the 3 (or so) different Mac spesific installation docs I think it's =
by
far the best.

> As for the connector. It'll be an AAUI port. Apple's variation on AUI. Ye=
s,
> you will need a transceiver. You can get both AAUI --> Coax (which I run)
> and AAUI --> RJ45.=20

After getting the new AAUI keyword it didn't take me long to find a page
selling adapters. Lots of thanks.

Oh, and you have my deepest sympaties wrt coax. Get well soon! :)

> Getting the Mac OS system up and running as a Booter partition will invol=
ve
> starting up from Floppy Disks (or a System CD) to install it. If you have=
n't
> got another Mac this may proove tricky as Macs have resource forks etc. e=
tc.

I'm familiar with the resource forks. They're great as long as you're Mac-O=
nly
:)

> There is a Windows program which can read and write to them, but the name
> escapes me and I have never used it. Assuming you can find a way to write=
> Mac disks download System 7.5.3 from ftp://ftp.apple.com (you'll have to =
go
> down quite a few directories) alternatively search on
> http://www.apple.com/support/ and download them.

Found what I suspect is right. Names starting with:
Z-System_7.5.3-01of20.smi.bin
and following with
Z-System_7.5.3-02of20.part.bin

And so on. As these are .bin's it's tempting to ask if I can simply write t=
hem
out using dd on another UNIX system, but as they're "self mounting images" =
I'm
not quite sure what to think of them. Their size doesn't match with them be=
ing
simply images, but I have no idea if that's because they're designed to fit=
 on
a floppy, thus sized smaller than a regular one.

> Boot from Number 1 and the rest is pretty easy.

If I could only figure out how to write the number 1 floppy :)

> If you need any further assistance, feel free to ask.

Heaps of thanks. I really would be lost without you.

On that note:

Do I understand it correctly that one easy way to actually get the NetBSD
files onto the box could be to simply burn them on a CD, boot the loader
partition, then run the installer application and point it at the files on =
the
CD?

Thanks,
Terje