Subject: Re: MacOS requirements, installation medium, delurk, and 660av
From: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/15/2001 21:27:19
Not so long ago Terje Elde said:

> Hi,
>
> Even though I subscribed less than a minute ago, I've been reading archives
> and learning about all of you for some time now, so I just thought I'd
> introduct myself. I'm a FreeBSD'er to be honest (well, at least I've stayed on
> the path *stern look on Kuperman ;)
>
> Anyway, I love the Mac platform, and just love it compared to most of the
> rubbles and bits in the i386 world. For this reason I've picked up a Macintosh
> Centris 660av system, in the hopes that I can whip it into shape and run
> NetBSD on it, for use perhaps as a workstation or a server, to get some
> services moved off of the main one.
>
> I consider myself to be fairly skilled when it comes to FreeBSD, but I must
> admit NetBSD is new to me. What's a far bigger problem on the other hand, is
> that I've never really dealt with the Mac installation processes. While I used
> to know the Macs pretty well it's been a while, for various reasons I never
> had to reinstall a single one.
>
> Anyway, I understand that I need to trash the current partition information,
> and set up three new partitions. One for my new NetBSD file system, one for
> swap, and a Mac system to run the loader on.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm also under the impression that I'll be able
> to load the NetBSD system off of a CD.
>
> The only thing I seem to have missed with the installation guides I've read is
> how I get the MacOS core system installed onto the tiny loader partition.
>
> It might be just me not seing what's in front of my eyes, but I'd really like
> to know how to do this before trashing the system, which after all, is
> currently working rather well.
>
> From what I understand the process is pretty much as follows:
>
> Make a system disk, use Apple HD SC Setup to do the formatting, Use Mkfs to
> make the NetBSD filesystem, use the Installer to install the system, and
> install the Booter on the apple loader partition to kick off the system.
>
> That still leaves getting the loader partition up and running.
>

> Finally, as I understand it the Ethernet of the 660av should be possible to
> get running, but (oki, I admit this is more Mac spesific than NetBSD) the plug
> on the back doesn't seem like any network adapter I've ever played with
> before. Do I need some kind of adapter to RJ45?

Have you seen my guide?

    http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/theobald/

Most of your queries I think should be answered there, if not feel free to
ask.

As for the connector. It'll be an AAUI port. Apple's variation on AUI. Yes,
you will need a transceiver. You can get both AAUI --> Coax (which I run)
and AAUI --> RJ45.

Getting the Mac OS system up and running as a Booter partition will involve
starting up from Floppy Disks (or a System CD) to install it. If you haven't
got another Mac this may proove tricky as Macs have resource forks etc. etc.

There is a Windows program which can read and write to them, but the name
escapes me and I have never used it. Assuming you can find a way to write to
Mac disks download System 7.5.3 from ftp://ftp.apple.com (you'll have to go
down quite a few directories) alternatively search on
http://www.apple.com/support/ and download them.

Boot from Number 1 and the rest is pretty easy.

If you need any further assistance, feel free to ask.

All the best.

Matthew