Subject: Re: IP/NAT questions
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Tim McNamara <timmcn@mr.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/14/2001 19:43:58
Thanks for the recommendations, they were very helpful.  (Note- Bob,
I found no setup files on your site but the diagram was very helpful;
Erik, your diagram was really helpful and made it simple to see what
went where in the configuration files, something that isn;t always
easy with NetBSD).

It looks like most of the configuration files are not radically
different from what was set up to allow my NetBSD machine to use
Ethernet and my DSL modem to access the Internet.  The changes seem
to be:

/etc/rc.conf
defaultroute="my isp's gateway" (currently set to my LAN's gateway)
ipfilter=YES

/etc/ipnat.conf
map sn0 192.168.208.0/24 -> my-IP-address portmap tcp/udp 10000:40000

/etc/hosts
#This machine
my-IP-address  sugaree  sugaree.onvoy.com
#Some local machines
192.168.208.1  tims-imac  tims-imac.onvoy.com
192.168.208.3  pb145b  pb145b.onvoy.com

I do also have an /etc/ifconfig.sn0 for the AAUI Ethernet port on the
Q700/NetBSD machine.

In the past, I have had both the iMac and the NetBSD machine
configured to use my static IP address and I'd just physically
alternate which was plugged into the DSL router/hub.  I switched to
using IPNetRouter to see if it was possible to use both computers
simultaneously through the DSL and of course it was.  IPNR is beta
and not especially stable, not to mention $89, so it makes sense to
use the capabilities of NetBSD in this capacity since it's stable and
free.

I'm using 192.168.208.x IP addresses for my LAN simply because that's
what IPNetRouter (IPNR) generated when it was configured, and it
works with those numbers.  The Q700/NetBSD machine is assigned
192.168.208.2 currently.  I don't see anywhere to specify this in the
configuration files, but perhaps I don't need to since this will be
the exposed computer on the Internet and will be using the IP address
assigned by my ISP.  Currently the exposed computer is the iMac
running IPNR.

Now, do I specify the NetBSD as the gateway for my LAN using my
static IP address or using the fake IP address 192.168.208.2 (I'm
referring to setting up Open Transport since the other computers will
be running  under  Mac OS... for now)?

I have one other issue, which is that I am currently serving my
employer's Web site from the iMac.  How do I configure NAT so that
requests for Web pages (the domain name is pointed at my IP address)
get passed on to the iMac?  Eventually I plan on serving this from
the NetBSD machine using apache, which also makes it sensible to have
the NetBSD machine be the exposed host on the Internet, but one thing
at a time.  ;-)

So, do these look like this will work?

Thanks so much!

Tim