Subject: Re: Installer assistance needed
To: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/13/2001 18:03:03
Cameron Kaiser wrote:

>> Can't speak for Colin or Allen, but from my view in the cheap seats the
>> solution will be sysinst. I don't know of anyone working on trying to
>> find the problem in the Installer so it can be fixed.
>
>I thought it was some problem with using 6-byte SCSI access or something
>in that vein, according to my rusty medical school-addled memory.

No, I fixed that problem years ago - right after I tried installing
NetBSD on a 1.6Gig drive and watched it destroy my HFS partition.  Both
Mkfs and the Installer use the same low-level I/O routines with this
fixed.  I think the problem in the Installer is that the code is all very
old and based on some of the early NetBSD I/O code which has never been
updated.  I know that's the case with Mkfs.  A lot of things have
happened to the original BSD code since then, but none of those changes
has been imported into Mkfs or the Installer.

-bob