Subject: Re: Netatalk zones
To: Oliver Humpage <oliver@watershed.co.uk>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/12/2001 17:57:01
On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Oliver Humpage wrote:

> Just one more question I'd like to ask of you. I've done my best to rtfm and
> search the archives, but:
>
> We already have an Appletalk network with a seed router and 4 zones. I would
> have thought by putting  '-zone "Servers"' into /etc/netatalk/atalkd.conf
> it would put itself into the Servers zone, rather than the default Admin
> zone. However, this doesn't seem to work - it just picks up the default

netatalk is designed more from the server side of things. All of your NBP
bindings will use the default zone for your net unless you say
otherwise. :-(

When you're adding -zone "" directives, you're really saying which zones
are on the network, not which zone should be the box default.

> zone. Also, whenever I stop and restart netatalk, I have to delete the -net
> and -addr in atalkd.conf, otherwise it refuses to start. Is this normal
> behaviour?

How exactly does it not start? You shouldn't have to change the -net and
-addr directives. Do they come back to similar values?

> (fwiw, my atalkd.conf file looks like:
> mc0 -phase 2 -net 4681 -addr 4681.148 -zone "Administration" -zone "Digital
> Darkroom" -zone "Servers" -zone "Gallery"
> )

Take care,

Bill