Subject: Re: packages and basic system service configuration
To: Josh Kuperman <josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/12/2001 17:39:20
On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Josh Kuperman wrote:

> Perl looks like a major headache. In previous environments I installed
> the minimum and then used CPAN to handle the rest.

As others have said, you can keep doing that. Look at all of the p5-XXX
packages in various directories. I counted 99 in a recent version of
pkgsrc. Oh, you're using just binary ones. Check out the ones whose names
start w/ p5. There should be a lot.

> But I can't bring up a web page to save my life. I looked through
> previous discussions and saw someone had tested with lynx -- I
> couldn't find a lynx package. I tried to telnet on port 80 and got a
> connection refused message; still I couldn't find anything in any log
> to show that either the httpd daemon or the system was accessed.

You might check port 8000 or 8080. Check netstat -a to see where the
daemon is listening, or scan the conf file.

> When I tried to install postgresql and hit dependency errors. I saw a
> reference to a package that will help manage dependencies. Sadly, I
> wound up downloading the list of packages instead.

I think if you use pkg_add
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/path/to/packages/packagename.tgz, when pkg_add
detects it needs a package, it will download it too.

Take care,

Bill