Subject: Re: sysinstal isn't fun anymore
To: Josh Kuperman <josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/12/2001 15:26:35
At 3:06 PM -0500 2/11/01, Josh Kuperman wrote:
>On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 01:01:31PM -0600, Bob Nestor wrote:
> > Josh Kuperman wrote:
> > >I can boot single user. I'd really like to just go into singleuser
> > >mode and apply the fix because I've started to download and install
> > >some stuff. I am willing to install 3 more times (after which I may
> > >break down and give up) If anyone wants to help me an can use info
> > >that can be gleaned from debugger, just ask. I'll be leaving the
> > >machine sitting for a while with the debugger up.
> >
> > It might help to know what your /etc config files contain.  Anything you
> > modified in /etc to configure your system.
> >
> > You might also try bringing up the ethernet in single user mode to see
> > just which configuration command is causing the panic.
>
>The changes I made were to

>domainname="" .. I omitted the actual domain because I don't want to
>make my system vulnerable until after I configure it.

This is the NIS domain, not the DNS domain.  The default DNS domain
you use to look up addresses is set in /etc/resolv.conf.  The actual
external DNS domain for your machine is determined by what is in the
DNS servers that describe you.

>/etc/ifconfig.mc0
> I added: "inet 192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0"

I had a Q840 for a while.  The mc0 interface should work.  Which
kernel from which distribution are you using?

>5.ifconfig mc0 inet 192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0
>
>and the errors are reproduced down to the pc, traps, trap type etc.

Hmmm.  If this is one of the 1.5 distribution kernels (if it's not
you should try one) you should definitely send-pr this.

Things to try:  a -current snapshot kernel, a NuBus Ethernet card,
the 1.4.2 distribution.

This problem should not be happening.  |-(

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.