Subject: packages and basic system service configuration
From: Josh Kuperman <josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/12/2001 17:14:39
I'm a little bit confused by some of the things I'm encountering in
installing NetBSD on my old 660av. I will be working through the
documentation on the http://www.netbsd.org website, but if anyone
knows of some quick solutions to these problems -- especially the
apache problems - I'd appreciate it.

Bind and Sendmail seem radically different from what I'm used to. In
particular I couldn't find the sendmail.mc files to be generated wiht
M4 what am I missing. Is there a guide to setting up a NetBSD server
out there. I have looked at the mac68k FAQs and some of the NetBSD
FAQS. The guide looks helpful, but long.

I want to be able to handle basic e-mail and web services. I was able
to install bash, emacs, xlispstat, and sudo from the packages at the
website without any problems.

Perl looks like a major headache. In previous environments I installed the minimum and then used CPAN to handle the rest.

I tried to install Apache. The installation went alright, except for I
was missing the shared object library to run the proxy. I commented
out these lines and was able to use the rc script in
/usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/apache to start apache.

a run of 'ps aux' shows httpd daemon running.

nobody  918  0.0  1.3 620   864 ?? I    11:28PM 0:00.19 /usr/pkg/sbin/httpd
nobody  917  0.0  1.3 620   864 ?? I    11:28PM 0:00.14 /usr/pkg/sbin/httpd
nobody  916  0.0  1.3 620   860 ?? I    11:28PM 0:00.13 /usr/pkg/sbin/httpd
root    915  0.0  1.5 608  1040 ?? Ss   11:28PM 0:12.14 /usr/pkg/sbin/httpd

But I can't bring up a web page to save my life. I looked through
previous discussions and saw someone had tested with lynx -- I
couldn't find a lynx package. I tried to telnet on port 80 and got a
connection refused message; still I couldn't find anything in any log
to show that either the httpd daemon or the system was accessed.

Is there a guide or mini-howto on how to set up apache.

When I tried to install postgresql and hit dependency errors. I saw a
reference to a package that will help manage dependencies. Sadly, I
wound up downloading the list of packages instead.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us