Subject: Re: sysinstal isn't fun anymore
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
From: Josh Kuperman <josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/11/2001 16:52:08
On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 03:04:35PM -0600, Bob Nestor wrote:
> Josh Kuperman wrote:

The linksys router is providing DCHP but is set to forward any address
in the 192.168.1.x ranger, even if it is not in its DHCP tables. The
router is also set to forward requests from the outside to the 660av
running NetBSD. None of the address issues should have any bearing on
route or ifconfig commands unless something needs to be resolved by
DNS, in any case.

The NetBSD machine is one of four machines currently using the network
and if I brought my laptop home I could make it one of five.

I searched http://routbort.neuro.duke.edu/netbsd/digests/v01.n1239 to
see what looked useful.  I noticed that someone (Jesse Reynolds) with
a Quadra 840 had almost identical problems last September with a 1.5
Alpha 2. By almost identical I mean the pid numbers, and program
counter differed. Also, it seemed that it happened on the loopback
interface, where I now have to wait for the actually ethernet
interface. I did not find a posting where it was resolved; just posts
about the problem. I believe you were one of the posters in the
thread. There was some speculation in the thread that the mc0 failure
had to do with ipv6 (inet6) operation.

> What does your /etc/hosts file have in it?

appended I have one line
192.168.1.3	roberta roberta.mydomain.net

> >/etc/ifconfig.mc0
> > I added: "inet 192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0"
>
> What does your dmesg log contain for your ethernet device?  Mine says:

I believe the 660av, like the 880av, uses a builtin Mace ethernet
which is unique to the Mac AV series. dmesg shows only this one line.

mc0 at obio0: address 08:00:07:dc:a1:1c

> sn0 at nubus0 slot e: Apple Ethernet LC Twisted-Pair Card
> sn0: Ethernet address 08:00:07:9e:e0:7b

> Does the ethernet connection to your LinkSys work correctly under MacOS?
> If not, are you sure you have the right kind of cable?

Yes, I can even telnet and ftp out to the netbsd site. I was using
the exact same information in the sysinstall that I was able to
connect and do a net based installation before I finally managed to
simultaneously type in the correct directory for your CD and do so
when the CD was actually inserted.

> Try booting up in single-user mode and typing:
>
>    ifconfig mc0 192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0

That alone booting up and typing that single ifconfig command is
enough to cause the problem, i.e. it drops into the debugger.

> If that works then try typing:

It didn't.

--
Josh Kuperman