Subject: Re: sysinstal isn't fun anymore
From: Josh Kuperman <josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/11/2001 15:06:55
On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 01:01:31PM -0600, Bob Nestor wrote:
> Josh Kuperman wrote:
> >I can boot single user. I'd really like to just go into singleuser
> >mode and apply the fix because I've started to download and install
> >some stuff. I am willing to install 3 more times (after which I may
> >break down and give up) If anyone wants to help me an can use info
> >that can be gleaned from debugger, just ask. I'll be leaving the
> >machine sitting for a while with the debugger up.
>
> It might help to know what your /etc config files contain.  Anything you
> modified in /etc to configure your system.
>
> You might also try bringing up the ethernet in single user mode to see
> just which configuration command is causing the panic.

The changes I made were to
/etc/resolv.conf

 I added my domain, my isps to nameservers, and search order of lookup
files, bind.

/etc/rc.conf
 I added my hostname, domainname, and default route.
hostname="roberta"

domainname="" .. I omitted the actual domain because I don't want to
make my system vulnerable until after I configure it.

defaultroute="192.168.1.1"
I am using a linksys cable router with portforwarding to handle NAT.

/etc/ifconfig.mc0
 I added: "inet 192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0"

ifconfig -a
displays entries for mc0 and lo0 as well as ppp, sl, tun,
and gif -- as far as I know I don't need ppp and the others I"ve no
idea what they're for.

So I try to duplicate my best guess as to what happen on a normal
startup by hand, but I probably am missing stuff. I tried to guess by
looking at /etc/rc.d/network. I believe much of what is in
/etc/rc.conf should be in files, but I can work that out later. I am
assuming that the environment variable would have been set by rc.conf
is a full boot, as opposed to single user.

1. Set hostname
hostname -s roberta

2. Set domain ( see above)
domainname my-dsl.isp.net

3. config lo0
ifconfig lo0 inet 127.0.0.1

Note: There is a lot of inet6 suff displaying for lo0 after running
"ifconfig -a". no idea why.

4. add the default route to the loopback?? just duplicating ascript.
route add -inet 127.0.0.0 -netmask 0xff000000 127.0.0.1 -reject

5.ifconfig mc0 inet 192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0

and the errors are reproduced down to the pc, traps, trap type etc.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us