Subject: Re: sysinstal isn't fun anymore
To: Josh Kuperman <josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/11/2001 13:01:31
Josh Kuperman wrote:

>Can using an SBC as opposed to a standard kernel be causing it?
>Would installing with a smaller root partition help?

No. The difference between the GENERIC and GENERICSBC kernel is the
driver for the 5380 SCSI controller.  You system doesn't have a 5380, it
has the 53C96 controller (esp driver).

A smaller root partition won't change what you're seeing.

>I can boot single user. I'd really like to just go into singleuser
>mode and apply the fix because I've started to download and install
>some stuff. I am willing to install 3 more times (after which I may
>break down and give up) If anyone wants to help me an can use info
>that can be gleaned from debugger, just ask. I'll be leaving the
>machine sitting for a while with the debugger up.

It might help to know what your /etc config files contain.  Anything you
modified in /etc to configure your system.

You might also try bringing up the ethernet in single user mode to see
just which configuration command is causing the panic.

-bob