Subject: Re: sysinstal isn't fun anymore
From: Josh Kuperman <josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/11/2001 13:41:02
I keep feeling like I'm almost there but not quite. I don't think my
existing problem(s) have anything to do with sysinstal -- I just can't
get it to reboot consistently. From various posts I get the impression
that I've made the following install error:

1. I didn't need to use the SBC kernel at all, even though I have a
Quantum Fireball, because my 660av uses esp SCSI.

2. That I need a small root partition in order to insure reliability
because the booter is not completely compatible with bsd 4.3 file
system partitions, as far as size.

Neither of the above seem to be causing me any problems; in the senses
of blowing up with a message saying I can't find your root partition
or don't like your SCSI set up. I don't think they matter.

What is blowing up in my face is my Ethernet. The system progresses
through normal startup down to "Starting Network". That progresses ok,
until adding the real network interface and then drops into the
debugger; it just dumps the regs and kernel stack and leaves me at the
db prompt..

add net 127.0.0.0: gateway 127.0.0.1
Configuring network interfaces: mc0Kernel Illegal Instruction Trap.
trap type 2, code =0x0, v = 0x0

NOw I'm on a 660av, with the onboard built in Etherenet. I looked and
saw a kernel mentioned in the ethernet documents, but I have actually
loaded and used this kernel before -- last night, when I was able to
reboot without a hitch.

It looks like a timing issue to me, but I'm guessing.

Can using an SBC as opposed to a standard kernel be causing it?
Would installing with a smaller root partition help?

I can boot single user. I'd really like to just go into singleuser
mode and apply the fix because I've started to download and install
some stuff. I am willing to install 3 more times (after which I may
break down and give up) If anyone wants to help me an can use info
that can be gleaned from debugger, just ask. I'll be leaving the
machine sitting for a while with the debugger up.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us