Subject: Re: sysinstal isn't fun anymore
To: Daniel Parks <danielp@reed.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/2001 19:42:15
On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Daniel Parks wrote:

> At 3:45 PM -0600 2/10/2001, Bob Nestor wrote:
> >
> >Nothing.  To the best of my knowledge Sysinst doesn't screw up the
> >partition map all by itself.  The problem is that once a new map is
> >written to disk there's no way for the kernel to re-process the map and
> >adjust it's in-core map which is used for all disk I/O in NetBSD.  There
> >are plans to install a more robust label facility in the kernel in a
> >machine independent way since mac68k isn't the only port with problems
> >like this. When those changes are implemented they can be used in
> >Sysinst/mac68k.  That should only be a minor modification.
>
> Ah. That's all it is? I was under the impression that it actually did
> something terrible. To solve that, you just have to reboot.

If you _don't_ _reboot_, and you let sysinstall blindly "newfs" using
the old partiton map, things get really ugly. Sysinstall should
probably set a flag when it changes the partition table, and refuse to
newfs when that flag is set, instead prompting for a reboot. Or does
it do that already, now?

Frederick