Subject: Internet access question
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Tim McNamara <timmcn@mr.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/2001 19:13:43
I've got NetBSD 1.4.2 running on a Q700 and have run across a a quirk
that probably indicates that I don't have something configured
properly.

I can access the Internet via the built-in Ethernet and DSL without
any problem, and if necessary I can also use PPP over a modem.  Works
fine, the connections are good and solid it seems.

Well, it works fine *as root* but not as user.  As root, I can use
lynx, it goes out and connects to the 'net just hunky-dory.  When I
launch lynx as user, it appears to start and then complains that it
can't access www.lynx.org or whatever the URL is.  And then it
self-terminates.  Same deal with ftp; I can use ftp as root but not
as user.  Or trn, for that matter.  (BTW, running tin causes a core
dump every time.)

Is there something I have neglected to do with permissions or
something?  Every one of the programs seems to launch and then fails
because it can't connect to something on the other end of the
Internet.  I can use them as root, but I don't want to be logged in
as root all the time to reduce the risk of wreaking newbie havoc all
over my filesystem.