Subject: Re: sysinstal isn't fun anymore
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/2001 16:31:08
Bob Nestor wrote:
> Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Bob Nestor wrote:
> >
> >> One thing to keep in mind is that
> >> since the Installer can't deal with the BSD 4.3 type filesystem you don't
> >> have the option of using it and the mini-shell to solve the inode problem
> >> if it happens.  So I think it's still prudent to use a separate small
> >> root if you're installing with sysinst.  Multiple filesystems with
> >> sysinst aren't nearly as difficult to implement for the new user as they
> >> are with the Mkfs/Installer installation method.
> >
> >I agree, in principle, but "small" is relative. I like to have about a
> >~250M root. One nice thing about that, is that you can put the whole
> >base system on it, which gives you decent environment (including grep,
> >termcap.db) to get bootstrapped with.
>
> Yeah, I agree it's a relative term.  It would be nice to know what all
> the Booter limitations are and where, or better yet teach the Booter to
> work with BSD 4.3 Filesystems.

well, an 'ls -li /netbsd' will tell you what the inode number is of your
kernel.  istr that the problem occurred when that number went past the
80's or 90's.

> I guess one could always boot the Installation Kernel to do
> recovery/repair work if they happen to be faced with a non-bootable
> filesystem.

yeah, i generally had a older working kernel around with a lower inode
number, so i could reboot off of that, remove some junk, and then re-copy
the newer kernel so that it would work better.  fortunately, i figured out
how to use LKM's so that i don't have to build a new kernel everytime i
want to make a change, tho ;-)

-colin