Subject: Re: Endless Install Problems
To: Randy Beaudreault <maccult@pacbell.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/2001 16:27:36
Randy Beaudreault wrote:
> >On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 12:46:01PM -0800, Randy Beaudreault wrote:
> >
> >>  I about ready to take NetBSD out and shoot it.  I have only been
> >>  partly successful getting this install up and running.  I've gotten
> >>  it up and both of my hds (thanks to however did the rev. h installer)
> >>  only to have it go in an endless loop with a message I can't read.
> >>  Any help?
> >
> >Sure but you need to help us.  What hardware are you using, what software
> >(version, what kernel GENERIC, GENERICSBC, SLOTMAN, what?).  What adb
> >devices are plugged in.  And then get that message, when it starts
> >looping, hit the debug switch on your puter (well, if it's not externally
> >accessable like on a SE bodied Mac take off the case and leave it off as
> >you boot up so you can reach the switch).
> >
> >- alex
>
> Quadra 800; 1.5 generic kernel; keyboard, mouse, and Graves
> Mousestick on adb.  I forgot about the debug switch, thanks.

well, pull the "mousestick" (what is that, anyway?) before you power the
machine on and see if you can boot then.  if not, you'll have to give us a
little more info on when the machine gives you that endless loop of
messages.  does it occur before, during, or after all the devices are
detected?  if the last, how far through the startup scripts did it get?
oh, also, why can't you read the message?  if it's actually looping, it
ought to be vaguely legible unless there's a display problem....

anyway, any more specifics would be good :-)

-colin