Subject: Re: sysinstal isn't fun anymore
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/2001 17:56:19
Frederick Bruckman wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Bob Nestor wrote:
>
>> One thing to keep in mind is that
>> since the Installer can't deal with the BSD 4.3 type filesystem you don't
>> have the option of using it and the mini-shell to solve the inode problem
>> if it happens.  So I think it's still prudent to use a separate small
>> root if you're installing with sysinst.  Multiple filesystems with
>> sysinst aren't nearly as difficult to implement for the new user as they
>> are with the Mkfs/Installer installation method.
>
>I agree, in principle, but "small" is relative. I like to have about a
>~250M root. One nice thing about that, is that you can put the whole
>base system on it, which gives you decent environment (including grep,
>termcap.db) to get bootstrapped with.

Yeah, I agree it's a relative term.  It would be nice to know what all
the Booter limitations are and where, or better yet teach the Booter to
work with BSD 4.3 Filesystems.

I guess one could always boot the Installation Kernel to do
recovery/repair work if they happen to be faced with a non-bootable
filesystem.

-bob