Subject: Re: sysinstal isn't fun anymore
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
From: Daniel Parks <danielp@reed.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/2001 11:18:19
At 10:41 AM -0600 2/10/2001, Bob Nestor wrote:
>If you install using Sysinst you won't be able to use the MacOS Installer
>application, but you shouldn't need it anyway.  It doesn't recognize the
>filesystem used by Sysinst.  The Booter application still works, but
>usually only on small root filesystems.  For that reason it's almost
>required that you allocate separate root, swap and usr filesystems as a
>minimum. Keep the root filesystem small, probalby no larger than 16Meg.

Huh? My root is, well, look at my disklabel:
># /dev/sd1c:
>type: SCSI
>disk: FIREBALL1080S
>label: fictitious
>flags:
>bytes/sector: 512
>sectors/track: 139
>tracks/cylinder: 4
>sectors/cylinder: 556
>cylinders: 3835
>total sectors: 2134305
>rpm: 3600
>interleave: 1
>trackskew: 0
>cylinderskew: 0
>headswitch: 0           # microseconds
>track-to-track seek: 0  # microseconds
>drivedata: 0
>
>4 partitions:
>#        size   offset     fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
>   a:  1926756      704     4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.    1*- 3466*)
>   b:   204800  1927460       swap                        # (Cyl. 3466*- 3834)
>   c:  2134305        0     unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 3838*)
>   d:      512      192    unknown                        # (Cyl.    0*- 1*)
>disklabel: boot block size 0
>disklabel: super block size 0

a, of course, is my root partition. 940+ MB. What kind of problems
should be showing up? I use the booter to boot /netbsd, and I
installed with almost no difficulties -- just that it doesn't like
installing on two HDs -- with sysinst.

Oh, and I partitioned this disk with sysinst too. This was installing
1.5_ALPHA2.

Am I just blessed, or is my computer secretly plotting to crash
inexplicably one day when I least want it to?

>*Don't* attempt to repartition the disk with the NetBSD Installation
>Kernel.  It should fail anyway and under 1.5 shouldn't do any disk
>damamge as earlier versions did, but don't tempt fate.  Everything else
>in Sysinst should work for you without a problem assuming you don't have
>a corrupted disk partition table as a result of what you did on the MacOS
>side.

Maybe I got an "early" version of sysinst. (Well, it was 1.5_ALPHA2).

What needs to be done to insure that sysinst doesn't screw the
partition map up? (Or whatever it does that's bad.)

Thanks,
Daniel