Subject: sysinstal isn't fun anymore
From: Josh Kuperman <josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/2001 11:01:23
OK, so I make up my mind to get the distro installed from the CD and
to get my full disk space. I make a note that at least on Bob Nestor's
CD to use the /NetBSD-1.5/mac68k/binary director for the install.

I repartition my hard-drive -- for some reason, I now believe that
there is a major problem with the partitioning software between "HD SC
Setup 7.3.5(patched)" and mkfs or newfs software in Sysinstal. Among
other things it seem that if I so much as open the HD SC Setup program
on the Mac side after I've successfully created partitions for
installing, the system or finder get damaged on the MacSide.

I abandoned the notion of creating more than 4 partitions because I
wanted to keep the total number of partitions under 7. I started
counting the partition map (1K), the MacDriver (16K), and the MacOS
(20M) as the first three partions. I tried to create 250M root, 120M
swap, 750M usr, and 118M home. When the netbsd-INSTALLSBC.gz kernel
runs and asks for partition, mount points, etc. I tell it to fix the
partitions. It tells me that all of them except the last are fine. It
fixes the last 118M partition. And when I finish the install and
reboot, I have an 18M partition. (I believe this or similar truncation
happened previously on one of my tests - well they're still all tests
- but I thought I just mistyped something.) I will try again this
afternoon without fixing the partition. Though it seems to me that for
some reason the Install kernel does not want to create a total of more
than 1G.

Also, my post about tcpwrappers makes me think that I'm missing
something on my installation. Since I can't find a program that
everyone tells me is included. Except for its inclusion with the man
pages -- I can't find a sign of it.

Also, I cant find disk formatting facilities that I could use to fix
the problem. As far as I can tell the entire distro gets placed on
root and /usr, so to umount and recreate partitions after the install
is complete, would not be a problem -- Would it be an advantage? or a
danger?

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us