Subject: more sysinstal fun
From: Josh Kuperman <josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/08/2001 23:40:28
I took to heart some comments that I had probably damaged the MacOS
partition on my harddrive. I redid the install after partitioning, but
noticed a lot of odd little things.

I tried leaving a little blank space unpartitioned. Somehow sysinstal
left two sd0e partitions in the table the blank free space and one I
was trying to use. I also tried adding a /tmp in addition to the
MacOS, root, /usr, /home , and /var and I couldn't get past the
partition table and mount point part of the sysinstal. In all cases, I
ran the fix partition program and all the partitions were fine except
for the last one.

It was a little bit annoying on restarting the sysinstal that I
couldn't figure out a way to jump right to the step I needed to
restart and wound up repeating the steps from the beginning. It is not
an easy program to go back a step from a mistake. I wound up
reformatting my partitions a few extra times. I didn't think I could
just use update instead of install, though it does look like the
program simply extracts the files, so maybe that's how I'm supposed to
do it.

I tried to install from CD. But unlike installing from the net the
directories embedded in the install were not the right locations for
the CD. And there really wasn't an easy way to browse that I was aware
of. Of course with the install kernel I wasn't really sure how many
commands I had, or if I could just hit control-Z and drop out of it
for a second.

Even though, I said yes when asked if the info I put in to access the
network was correct, I still had to manually go and set up some of the
networking. For whatever reason the ifconfig for the mc0 interface,
and the adding of a default route did not take from the install.

On the bright side I seem to have a lot more disk space after this
install than I did after earlier installs. Hopefully, this is because
the df command is no reporting accurately.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us