Subject: Re: Is the "df" command reporting accurately?
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/06/2001 18:58:34
Henry B. Hotz wrote:

>At 9:37 AM -0600 2/6/01, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>>On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Josh Kuperman wrote:
>>
>> > /dev/sd0g      882193   273902    520071      34%    /usr
>> > /dev/sd0f     1184662  1004683     61512      94%    /home
>>
>> > And after I cd'ed to /home the largegst file is the emacs package at
>> > 11 MB. And even adding everything else it should be relatively empty.
>>
>>A lot of people have noticed odd problems with Mkfs created
>>filesystems. Mkfs creates old-style, type 1 ffs partitions that are
>>more compatible with the Booter than they type 3 that newfs makes by
>>default. For your /home partition, you could just tar up the files,
>>"newfs" it, and put the files back, and that will probably straighten
>>it all out.
>
>I also thought that there was a fix to mkfs to solve the problem.  He
>could possibly just make sure he has the latest version of the MacOS
>utility and that would do the same.
>
>In any case I think he's stuck with something close to a reinstall in
>order to fix the problem.

I had the impression from reading the original posting that possibly /usr
and /home were mounted on the wrong disk partitions.  The mac68k and
macppc ports assign the partitions in the order they are found in the
Disk Partition Map which may not be the physical order on disk.  If one
assumes the partitions will mount in the order they were defined they may
be in for a surprise - depending on the disk formatter or partitioning
tool they've used.  That's one reason the sysinst/mac68k code re-orders
the entries in the Partition Table before writing it back to disk.

-bob