Subject: Re: Is the "df" command reporting accurately?
To: Josh Kuperman <josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/06/2001 14:24:58
On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Josh Kuperman wrote:

> I'm not sure if it is limited. I am beginning to believe that while
> some filesystems, usr, root and swap were right /home and /var - the
> two that I guess are less standardly done when installing, were not
> done right by the installer.

You make the filesystems before you decide where to mount them, so
that can't be it...

> the feeling that the Mac based installer is only capable of created 3
> partitions correctly swap, usr, and root. And how many different types
> of filesystems are there and can they be upgraded to newer ones?

See the man page for fsck_ffs, especially the "-c" option. I
successfully used that once, on a fairly new filesystem. Other times I
tried it, it just paniced. All the file-systems I have on my macs now
were newfs'd while booted from the old disk(s).

In practice, the only place you see anything but type 3 is on macs,
and that's because Mkfs has not kept up with NetBSD. The goal is to
move away from the Mac OS tools, and toward sysinstall, i.e., to boot
directyly into and install from NetBSD. If you want to try that, just
put the sets into one of your spare partitions (/home), and boot from
one of the kernels in the .../instkernel directory.

Frederick