Subject: Re: Is the "df" command reporting accurately?
From: Josh Kuperman <josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/06/2001 13:42:36
On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 11:49:02AM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>
> > I also thought that there was a fix to mkfs to solve the problem.  He
> > could possibly just make sure he has the latest version of the MacOS
> > utility and that would do the same.
>
> I thought so too, but even fixed, Mkfs still only makes level 1
> filesystems.
>
> > In any case I think he's stuck with something close to a reinstall in
> > order to fix the problem.
>
> Not at all! Josh says the problem is limited to his home directory,
> which is nearly empty. The hard part, getting bootstrapped into
> NetBSD, is behind him.

I'm not sure if it is limited. I am beginning to believe that while
some filesystems, usr, root and swap were right /home and /var - the
two that I guess are less standardly done when installing, were not
done right by the installer.

Reinstalling is not a problem, while I'm running headless, the
keyboard and monitor are still sitting there just in case. Because
there was so little in the file systems I just copied them out and
back into the /home partition after newfs. Now it reads:

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd0a       62487    14642     41596      26%    /
/dev/sd0e      992264   883067      9970      98%    /var
/dev/sd0g      882193   273902    520071      34%    /usr
kernfs              1        1         0     100%    /kern
procfs              4        4         0     100%    /proc
/dev/cd0c      367272   367272         0     100%    /cdrom
/dev/sd0f      192806    12411    170754       6%    /home

This seems more believable for home. Though a causual glance tells me
that var can't be correct either. I also think I might have more
options for installing, than other people as I have a working CD, a
fast DSL connection, a removable and 44M Syquest (though I haven't
tried to bring it up on the NetBSD system side yet).  Though I suspect
the more I look at things I'm a candidate for Sysinst. Somehow I get
the feeling that the Mac based installer is only capable of created 3
partitions correctly swap, usr, and root. And how many different types
of filesystems are there and can they be upgraded to newer ones?

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us