Subject: Re: NTP on Quadra 840AV
To: Oliver Humpage <oliver@watershed.co.uk>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/06/2001 09:55:26
On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Oliver Humpage wrote:

> server [a time server that I know works with ntpdate] prefer
> server 127.127.1.0
> fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 9

Don't set up a local clock. Without a local clock, it will only serve
time for the brief periods when it's synced and lightly loaded, but
the alternative, to advertise itself to its peers as synced while it's
several minutes off, leads the peers (servers) to treat it as a pariah.

I found that with NetBSD-1.4.3 and ntp-4.?, it sort of syncs, it's
just that disk activity makes it run so slow that the correction is
pegged at 500ppm, and it almost never catches up. It's a shame,
because the real-time clock is very accurate, and only loses a couple
of seconds a year. On a diskless machine, or perhaps one with a small
read-only disk, NTP might actually work well.

Frederick